The Hunger Games Gale: Life After Katniss

katniss311 posted on Jul 15, 2011 at 04:13PM
I have been thinking back on the Hunger Games Trilogy. Most of the loose ends were tied up, but I-and lots of other people- had one question. WHERE IS GALE NOW? We know he's living wealthy and famous in District 2, but what happened to taking care of his family? What happened to loving Katniss? Nowhere in the books suggest IN THE LEAST why he's left everything he ever cared about.
I thought this up in my head: normally I don't go for fanfic, but I thought we all deserved a better ending for Gale.

It was early in the morning when Gale first started to feel homesick. He was sitting in his newly appointed home- a large, military-styled building with huge rooms and the newest technology. Working for the Capitol's special defenses had its perks, and this was definitely one of them. As Gale ate his breakfast - a heaping bowl of creamy porridge, a mixed cup of fruit, and a cup of coffee - he remembered how, in District 12, eating 3 meals a day was a luxury his family could hardly afford. Most days his mother and himself would skip breakfast or lunch - dinner was saved for the whole family. Living in the Seam had been a cruel existence. But it was full of good memories, too. He remembered the Sunday mornings he and Katniss would share - peaceful meanderings in the woods, hunting while totally in sync. What he wouldn't give for just one more Sunday like that. Gale sighed loudly. He hated these feelings, hated feeling out of control. Thinking of Katniss did that to him.

She was my friend. She was Peeta's friend. She loved Peeta. Peeta loved her. I loved her. Did she ever love me? Does she still love Peeta? Gale couldn't help but wonder.

Katniss was the reason he couldn't return to District 12. To his family, to his friends. After Katniss had shot Coin, Gale pleaded with Beetee, begged him for a job. Any job, as long as it took him away. Far, far away from confusing girls and the Capitol. The Capitol and District 12 held too many horrible memories- what was it called? PTSD? Yes, Gale had it. Post traumatic stress disorder is what his doctor had told him. What his doctor didn't say was to leave his past - Gale did that on his own. He became a general of the Special Defenses for the Capitol, and was immediately relocated to District 2, a place that housed hardy, fiery people just like himself. His new life was amazing: fortune, food, importance. He even appeared weekly on the television for reports on the new government's various projects. Life was good here- here he could live in peace, leave the past behind him - mostly.
Some nights, Gale lay dreaming, imagining the terrifying images from the Capitol. All those bodies, blown apart. Blood everywhere, people screaming in the streets, and Gale did nothing. In fact, he helped create this massacre. Gale would watch these images over, and over, until his eyeballs screamed, and he awoke in a sheet of sweat, screaming away.
Gale longed for someone to comfort him. But here in Two, a person like that was hard to find. The closest he had come to getting a girl was, "Mister Hawthorne, here is my number-use it in an emergency." That had been his boss. There were strict rules about keeping the sexes apart. Any girl he approached would give him the glare - a frosty eyebrow raising stare that gave him shivers.
Gale knew in his heart, deep down, that he would never find a girl just as amazing as Katniss Everdeen. He would probably get married, maybe in a few years. But Katniss would always be his soulmate. And for that reason, Gale could never return to District 12.
last edited on Jul 17, 2011 at 08:56PM

The Hunger Games 15 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago ace1317 said…
big smile
very good not how i would have picture it but now i'm believeing wha tu said
over a year ago Grrrrr said…
this is REALLY good. I think, this isn't how I wanted to imagine it, but, often in the Hunger Games you reaad things that aren't exactly.....what you want to. BUt I think that this ending gave a little bit of clearance from our friend, Gale.
over a year ago Rimasters said…
heart
I love it! I never really thought about why Gale left but this is a good explanation.
over a year ago TitleWave said…
Awesome its really good! keep up the good work!
over a year ago Bnstinsley93 said…
Nice Work, i liked it and you're right about Gale ending
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago orpher said…
smile
Nice i like it. Great job.
over a year ago myth-freak214 said…
this is good.
over a year ago Clavicula said…
very good ;DD
over a year ago booklover_19 said…
smile
love it!!!!
over a year ago primforever said…
laugh
I've never thought about that ending for Gale before. Thanks for giving me another way 2 look @ things!!!!!
over a year ago --ame-- said…
I really love it!
over a year ago Arissa1422 said…
i liked it. (:
over a year ago conversegirl24 said…
big smile
It's great!
over a year ago athena305 said…
Really good!
over a year ago hann13 said…
zzz
GreT I love it