The Heroes of Olympus The Son of Neptune

HecateA posted on Oct 28, 2010 at 12:36AM
So once again you guys have the opportunity to get in my head of what I think the next HoO book RR blesses us with will look like.

Before I start you peoples off, I need to say something.
So shush and listen.

When I wrote "The Lost Hero, written by me", I had to guess who the parents were. Well now, I know. So I am following Rick Riordan's version of the characters. Piper has nothing to do with Persephone, Jason and Thalia are siblings and Camp Ceasar Salad is real. For my series of fanfics, I'm following my version of the characters, but here, Rick's versions rule. Get it?

Title: The Son of Neptune
Rating: C
Type: Adventure, friendship, hopefully humor, maybe a touch of romance
Characters: Add, Annabeth, Jason, Piper, Drew, Leo, Jake, Nyssa
OC personalities: Reyna, Dakota, Hazel, Gwen, Bobby, Caleb
OC: The Gayle brothers, Karren
Synopsis: After discovering a new world, not so far from their own, Jason and his friends are sailing straight for it, unsure wheter they'll come out victorious or just start a civil war. But it doesn't take the arrival of a flying boat to get the citizens curious. They already sence something is wrong, way before the flying ship docks.

Disclaimer: The story base, character and settings base was created by Rick Riordan, who owns the Percy Jackson and the Olympians, and Heroes of Olympus rights.

A/N: Hopefully you guys will like it! I got some very nice comments on my random wall poll, so here it is guys! Love you all, you rock!

The Rebel Soldier's debut: link

The Honour in Death's debut: link

The Fire's Revenge's debut: link

Part Two's debut: link
So once again you guys have the opportunity to get in my head of what I think the next HoO book RR bl
last edited on Jul 29, 2011 at 10:13PM

The Heroes of Olympus 3419 replies

Click here to write a response...

Showing Replies 201-250 of 3419

over a year ago Wisegirl123 said…
big smile
Hey HecateA,
I know youre a really busy writer but, i was wondering if you could check out my version of the Son of Neptune. Thanks sooooooo much. Here's the link.

link
over a year ago HecateA said…
smile
OKAY!
I already got a message wondering when I was putting it up hihi. It feels so good to make something people like so much!

@ everybody-new-that-I-cannot-all-list Welcome! I'm Hecate, the welcomign commity and one of the writters here, please accept this welcoming muffin baskets! (just take it)
@lightning: I'm sorry your family considers you a emotional wreck, btu not too much if you actually like it...
@aphrodite123 (and everyone else who read that, if you didn't just think of bunnies) I think I kind of owe you an apology. My answer was a little harsh and I think it got blown a little out of porportion. Apology way accepted, and dont stop posting, it was just a mistake, nobody hates you :)
@barogr - Sometimes I write ishy chapters. Chapters that dont hold any real juice but that I want out there anyways. Those I try publishing mid-week. I shold have published the following one Wednesday, sorry, dont hate me for making you wait! *ducks tomato* And I rather write a few good chapters packed then a lot of chapters with nothing in them. It makes the readers want to come back for more, and by the looks of it, it works
@tridentbearer1 - I'm in Canada (before anybody asks: I say eh)
also @tridentbearer1 - I've never heard of Dakota as a boy name, I just made Dakota a girl because I wanted the other consul, and one of Jason's bests, to be a girl.
@wisegirl (above) already have, its very good!

Trouble In Paradise
She sat at the table across from her father, leaning back on the back of her chair, her arms crossed, her grey eyes staring at him in an expression between unimpressedand awaiting. The man did his best to ignore her. He concentrated on what he was writing, but he couldn’t ignore the piercing eyes staring at the back of his head any longer. He looked up frustrated.
-Athena, don’t look at me that way. Don’t you have something better to do? The lord of the sky said.
-Most certainly. I could go to Athens and watch over the Parthenon. I could go to a library opening in Beijing. And there’s a military lecture at the University of Ottawa right now. She said.
He pursed his lip.
-That is out of question.
-Then no, I have nothing better to do then make you see reason. The man went back to his writing and she stayed immobile.
-Athena, go do something productive.
-Oh but I am. Lord Zeus, Enceladus has risen. He has battled the Valdez boy, the charm speaker and your son, surely you must know…
-I know very well what happened, Athena.
-Then let me fight him. If Enceladus rises, so will Porphyrion and Polybotes. They will wake Gaia and we are all most certainly doomed.
-I am not opening the doors of Olympus. At least 1 giant has not yet risen and our presence might stir him.
-Or maybe his two brothers will. Athena replied sarcastically.
He got up so violently thunder boomed.
-Athena, this is not up for discussion. She got up.
-Have you looked at the world? Do you know what my aunts have done?
-Of course I do, and this is better fit to be discussed with…
-It doesn’t only concern you, your sisters, and Poseidon, it also concerns me. Don’t you realise it? The more we stay here, the more they fear victory is out of reach. Imagine they don’t believe it anymore, hmm? Imagine. If Heracles hadn’t believed your power and his could defeat the giants, you would be in Tartarus and him in the fields of punishment. If the 7 half-bloods stay persuaded that victory is out of reach, which they are because of this damned silent, we are as good as dead.
-They are not even near the battlefield; their swords are not even drawn.
-Lord Zeus, listen to reason! Athena exclaimed. He sat back down.
-We are not going back to earth and it is not up for discussion.
-If you will not listen to reason it is because you know that reason’s voice is true. Athena said. She sat back down and resumed her initial position.
-I’ve had enough of this child, out. Zeus said.
-As you wish, my Lord. Merry Christmas by the way, I was hoping to spend this one in Rio de Janeiro, but that’s apparently not happening. She said coldly before leaving. Zeus shook his head before returning to his work.
An hour or two later, a man with curly hair and winged sneakers walked in.
-Sir, I can’t find Athena anywhere. Zeus lifted his eyes, not surprised but angry.
-Oh, that goddess and her eternal stubbornness…
-You know where she is sir?
-Of course Hermes. She’s roaming the world under one of her thousand costumes, observing the half-bloods on either side.
-Do you want me to find her sir?
-No. Stay here, let her bore herself. Zeus said. Hermes snapped his fingers, disappointed.
-You know, Athena only does something when she is sure it’s the only way, especially when she’s under your orders, if she is…
-Athena needs to learn to follow orders from her superiors, Hermes. This time there is nothing she can do.
-She’ll find a way sir. Remember with Odysseus? She did the exact same thing. She always does when the cause matters. Her determination is quite admirable, actually.
-I would suggest you do not repeat Athena’s mistakes.
-Oh, no, never, sir. Don’t punish her too much when she comes back. Enceladus’ waking really quite upset her.
-Don’t try to sell Athena’s actions as her not thinking straight, because it won’t work.
Another man walked in. He had broad shoulders and sea green eyes, he wore a Hawaiian shirt.
-Zeus, you know where Athena is I presume?
-You are instances later then the messager, Poseidon.
-She seemed quite angry.
-She was.
-She actually requested a favour from me. She hasn’t done that in approximately… Since she’s born.
-And what did she ask?
-That I tried convincing you to open the doors to Olympus. And frankly I agree with her.
-You want to return to your palace?
-Yes, although Amphitrite is doing a fine job.But… Athena has a point Zeus. We’re getting restless. What she told you, I second it and if you talked to anyone else so do they.
-I don’t want to hear it.
-I know; you already have. He said. He turned his heals and stalked out of the room.

I moved to Neptune’s house that night.
There were 3 rooms and 1 bathroom, plus the living room I’d already seen. I paced around the cabin for a few hours.
What Tempest had said. Jason and I had both left our homes for the same purpose. I’d left camp half-blood, whatever it was, and he left the city. If I was here… My brain was fuzzy. I was tired, worried and frustrated with myself for not knowing what I should. So I crashed on one of the low cots in the cabin.

I was standing in a forest. A giant pile of I-don’t-know-what stuck out from the ground. The place had a dangerous and sad feel to it. Something bad had happened here. Something really bad.
-Your instincts persists where you memory doesn’t hero. I spun. A little girl was sitting cross legged on the ground. She was wearing a simple brown dress, her hair mousy brown and her eyes glowed like the coals of the fire in front of her.
-Come sit. She said. I did and I just looked at her.
-You don’t recognise me do you?
-I’m sorry, no.
-Well maybe you’ll recognise this. She took a jar from her pocket.
-Pandora’s box. I said.
-Yes. You sacrificed it to me. It was the biggest sacrifice I’ve received in decades, and I don’t forget. This might be the only time I will agree with my sister…
-You’re He- Vesta. I said. She smiled.
-Yes. It pains me to take you from your home, and even more to have taken your memories, but it is keeping you alive right now. If they discovered who you are, you would die.
- They know my father is Posei-Neptune. They know this starts the prophecy.
-I know. My brother is quite relieved that you have realised who you are. He doesn’t support my efforts to bring you here, but he still cares for you.
-You brought me here?
-I’m sorry, hero. I had no choice. You would not listen to my sister. She asked a goddess you trust more to help her. She is a fool playing this game; she’s pulling the last card, which is too powerful then she can handle. But there is nothing better to do about the stirring.
-Stirring?
-It’s an after-wave of last summer. The doors of death have been opened. My brother and his bride can no longer keep souls in their kingdom. Mother earth is unleashing the worst of them back in the world.
-What happened last summer? Everybody talked about last summer, what happened?
-You will get your memory back soon, hero. After you stop her.
-Her?
-Shh. I’ve told you all I can. I’ve obscured Jupiter’s vision a little, but he will soon know I am contacting you. Olympus has closed; he believes it will stop the stirring. Her image started flickering.
-Wait, where are you going?
-Back to my home.
-Can you tell me where my home is?
-If I did, it would kill you. She put her hand on my wrist.
-You know all you need to know to go back, hero.
I woke up panting.
Vesta. Where’d I meet Vesta? Guess the answer: I don’t know. This game was starting to get on my nerves. Remember this? Oh right, you don’t, whoops, won’t explain, have fun explaining to those nice soldiers where you’re from...
I sat up.
The whole room smelt like ocean air, and the sound of waves crashing on the shore filled it.
I got ready for the day. It was going to be a long one. I put on the armour I’d found waiting for me and slipped Riptide in my pocket. The armor felt weird-unnatural. It was somebody else's to wear, not mine.
I walked out the door, eager to get out of the cabin. It was around 5 in the morning. Like it always does in California, the snow had all melted, as if it’d never happened. I didn’t have anything better to do so I went to the stables.
I went to the back to go see Tempest. I stopped half-way. There was a pen where a Pegasus with a coat as white as yesterday’s snowflakes was standing. Her wings weren’t showing but I could tell she was a Pegasus, not knowing how. She looked up at me and her eyes were a deep blue. The blue captivated me. The blue switched, colors passing through her irises like waves. And that’s what her eyes were. Like the ocean. Her mane was a warm chocolate brown. I stopped at her cage and read the card.

Pacific
Hidden Pegasus

She neighed and trotted forwards. She tilted her head and I passed my hand on her head.
-Pacific, hmm? I bet I’ve already seen the real Pacific… You been anywhere other than here?
No. I’m a yearling, sir, I haven’t left the City.
-Hasn’t your owner ever..?
I don’t have an owner. Only horses with owners leave the city, and they haven’t found anybody who can ride me yet.
-Really? Why not? She didn’t know.
You are here to see Tempest, aren’t you? Pacific asked.
-Yes. How is she doing back in a cage? I asked.
-Quieter. Quieter than usual. Pacific said. She inclined and went back to sleep in the back and I continued down to Tempest’s pen, but she wasn’t there. Whether she’d been taken out or escaped on her own, I had no idea. Maybe she’d realised that I couldn’t do anything for her. I had enough of questions without answer so I decided to go back to the house.
Reyna, Bobby, Caleb and Dakota were standing not too far away, near Minerva’s house.
-I’m telling you what I saw.
-Reyna, no place in the world trains demigods like that.
-Well, where do you suppose he picked it up? He learnt it somewhere.
-Greek swordplay was impressive, think of the Battle of Marathon, Athenians defended Athens and won outnumbered 5 to 1 by the Persians. The Greeks invented the phalanx; they were brave warriors when they were called. Bobby said.
-That’s the problem. Why would someone raise an army of trained soldiers? An army is made to attack, and depending on their infantry, they could. Reyna said.
-Stop. Hazel, Gwen and Caleb really trust Add, and so do I. Hazel’s trust must mean something. Whatever he was before he got here, he isn’t now. Dakota said.
-I’m not saying I don’t trust him, I’m saying wherever he comes from could be bad news. It fits in with the prophecy. Foes bear arms to the doors of death, this could be it. He might be the son of Neptune to start it. Reyna said.
-The prophecy is too unclear; we don’t even know who the seven are yet. Caleb said.
-Add’s one of them. Bobby said.
-Besides, I’ve been trying to find out where he’s from. His beginning doesn’t show. If he was an enemy, I’d have known by now.
-Or it’s blocked. Bobby said.
-Either way. I won’t put him in a legion; I don’t think he’ll stay for long enough. Hazel can train him for cavalry, or he can help her train the soldiers and care for the horses, and his swordplay…
-No! Don’t change his swordplay. It’s part of who he is, it’s the only thing he knows about his home. That’d be like asking me to drop my sword and learn how to shoot a gun.
-But you can shoot a gun. Bobby said.
-That’s besides the point. Warfare is part of your heritage, no matter what kind it is. Let him fight Greek, if he’s not in a legion it doesn’t matter. I’ll even fight with him to keep it up. Reyna said.
-Okay. Dakota nodded.
-So wait, just so I get this straight, Add stays here until we figure out where he’s from. Caleb said.
-Yes. Bobby said.
-Good. Caleb nodded. Her features seemed to change. Her hair wasn’t curling any more, her lips were smaller then they’d been… Why?
-Is this empress approved? Bobby asked.
-Oh dear gods, please don’t call me that… Dakota said, paling in the dim light.
-Sorry Da. Is it? He apologised.
-Yes, yes it is. She said.
-Go meet your legions, training starts in 10. Dakota said.
I slipped back inside the house.
Was what they said true? Was I from another army? An army made to destroy the city? The idea that I was being used as a mole didn’t thrill me, but I thought about what Vesta said. My memory loss was keeping me alive. I was from somewhere that should not cross paths with the City. An enemy the city would kill.
Dakota walked up to me. She was wearing all her armour but her helmet and a leather bag was swung across her shoulder.
-Hi Add. Legion training is starting in 5. We haven’t put you in a legion or anything yet, and I had to cancel training for my legion, you want to come run with me?
-Sure.
-Around the city’s perimeter, it takes about an-hour-and-a-half, you in?
-You bet.
Dakota picked up the pace, and I followed.
last edited over a year ago
OKAY!
I already got a message wondering when I was putting it up hihi. It feels so good to make some
over a year ago tracytracy2000 said…
big smile
hey your chapters are just awesome.
over a year ago bookeater said…
laugh
YA YOU STICK IT TO HIM ATHENA!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow i is the first to read this cooooool!!!!!!!!!!!! so anyway you did a realy amazing job again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
big smile
hey tracytracy2000
over a year ago losthero5 said…
laugh
yeah greek armor is so much better than roman. roman looks a little gay dont you think?
over a year ago RickJackson98 said…
wow great chapter Hecate absolutley loved it
over a year ago Annabeth2882 said…
heart
that was amazing as always
over a year ago Calypso_ said…
laugh
Awesome and amazing as usual thank you Hecate!!!!
over a year ago Wisegirl123 said…
great, as always HecateA. and thanx for reading my fanfiction.
over a year ago Eirene21 said…
smile
I really liked the part at the beginning where you get to see what the gods are doing, It doesn't happen very often. And of course, great chapter!
heart
i loved it
laugh
can u guys check out my new club called "DOWN WITH THE GIRLY JUSTIN BEIBER" i was gonna call it something differant but i might have been sued... lol:)
over a year ago zips said…
big smile
another fantastic chapter! i loved it keep up the good work
over a year ago redhawks said…
big smile
That was so good! I loved it!
tongue
me 2
over a year ago Lightning98 said…
big smile
HOLLY ZEUS HECATE
That was amazing!!! i love how descriptive you are and i also love how Hestia was doing this not Hera! Like it is late as in 1 o' clock in the morning for me and i was telling myself ok so i will read some of it now and the rest tomarrow morning but i could not stop reading. Also GO ATHENA... stand up to Zeus she has a reason to be mad... its rediculous what Zeus it doing to all of the other gods.
Love your writing Hecate and i hope you can keep doing this with all of the spam going on.
Oh and for all of the newbiez Hi! i am Lightning98 but you could just call me lightning and um just to tell you Hecate (the person that is writing all of this) is the most amazing writer on this sight
So yah please keep writing
Lightning98
over a year ago Alex13126 said…
thx for the newbie muffin basket Hecate great story as always :-D what if you had a 13 daughter of Demeter come in or Circe (Sorry new to Roman names) named Alex (Sorry if i sound demanding or something just something from my weird Percy Jackson daydreams Tee Hee!) :p just an idea dont have to use it just and idea for your awesome story!
over a year ago Festus1126 said…
smile
Great Chapter!! really liked the part where you tell about olympus and the gods. Anyway, i was wondering how was Percy claimed again?
over a year ago Idunn said…
heart
Love it!
over a year ago barogr said…
Realaly good! Where you lef in the chapter before popped many questions in mind but now most of them make sense, by the way who was Athena's aunts again? I don't know about the 3 major god brothers' sisters?
over a year ago aphrodite123 said…
wink
THAT WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!When will you write the next chapter??Also I'm kinda confused about Alaya.I mean she's daughter of Zeus,right?Thats what I heard.(They called her Sparky for a nickname.)That last part was NOT spamying, Sis.Sorry, my little sisters have personality.By the way,you know that one page I posted like,"My little sisters deleted It" one.Guess what?I go to my room for a sec, and they come and start typing that THEY deleted it.Well guess what?I didn't even noticed what they typed.So I continued my page and posted it.Without noticing it.So now,if you read something funny I "posted" that would would be my little sisters.They are ninkaboops.Seiresously,I'm not kidding.So now,I'm on the lookout.(Please don't think I'm crazy,or weird,or spamy.)Thanks again and,AWSOME WRITING!!!Keep the work up!! - Aphrodite123
angelic
Weird things are happening to me.By the way,I am buzzing with ideas,so if you want to hear them,just ask,thats all you have to do.Ok Hecate?I hope that didn't sound like a control freak.I'm just in a really hyper mood,like EXTREAMLY hyper.OMG!!!!!!My little sisters told me something amazing!!!Please stand by. Sorry.Hey Alex13126!I would LOVE to read your chapters!I mean like just,SEE.[Curious.]I am also very confused.Not about you,Alex13126,I am confused o about Dakota and What god or goddess is supposed to be Mars?I frogot.Please answer.Thanks!
wink
Mars is the roman equal for Ares the War God of Greeks. What do you want to know about Dacota? May be I'll be able to help?
smile
Plus if you have good ideas that could be helpful to Hecate and you let her use them (otherwise -not sure- but it'll probably be spaming), then just write them, don't wait for someone to ask, or the inspration will go away and that will be a HUGE waste!
I mean like......wait what I want to know is something I found a website,plus it would be spaming.
big smile
Yea I guess...
But you could help me.Maybe.Wait,its like about Dakota like going to camp Halfblood.To like help them. ? (lets just figure this out quickly so its not spaming, Barogr.
Are you my friend???
Can you answer me???????????????????????
over a year ago Hermione-Fan361 said…
sunny
Hey I'm new like, I signed up today. Can you write another chapter? Please? I dying here.
over a year ago blackjack23 said…
cool
Hey I'm new also,please write more .So i can know whats crackin'
over a year ago blackjack23 said…
crying
write more please
over a year ago zips said…
wink
people please dont spam. hecateA comes out with a new chapter every friday and if you spam she will stop posting and will only send it to a few people. amazing chapters take time.
wink
Thank you zips, for that info. I'll be back on friday. How do you get a profile photo?
Yes Aphrodite123 I would like to be your friend, and sorry for not answering for like 10 hours but I was out and didn't see your reply and there is 7 hours of time difference between where I am and America, so I was asleep... I didn't get your question? -and this IS spaming so maybe you should send me a message?-
crying
How do you get a profile picture? Can anyone help?
over a year ago dipstickLOL101 said…
smirk
Out of all the Son of Neptune/The Lost Hero(by Percy) fics I've read, this one is by far the best...
Hermione-Fan361 just go to your profile page and click the icon that says upload pjoto or someting like that near your little person picture thing and check the box underneath while uploading, if you don't get it than the pproblem is me, but please no more spaming...!
over a year ago Festus1126 said…
cool
AMAZING CHAPTERS!!! Can't wait till FRIDAY!!!
wink
Thanks, Barogr! I got it!
heart
I love this forum so much I've been here at least twenty times today.
over a year ago partypony said…
big smile
fantastic story. cant wait............................
im gonna go crazy now.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!­!!!­!!!­!!

ok im done being crazy. pretty soon, im gonna start my nervous breakdown.
over a year ago redhawks said…
big smile
ONE, people STOP SPAMMING!! WE HAVE TOLD YOU SO MANY TIMES THAT HECATE WILL NOT POST IF PEOPLE CONTINUE TO SPAM!! STOP! NOW!! I WILL BE SO MAD AT YOU GUYS IF HECATE STOPPED POSTING BECAUSE OF YOU AND YOUR SPAMMING!!! STOP NOW!!

Now Wisegirl don't ask that. Just don't. You can ask her on private chat thing just don't post it on here. If she wanted us to know she would tell us.
laugh
I liked your craziness thing partypony. I'm new by the way.
big smile
Breaking my own rule here because I am proudly announcing I have typed up 100 pages of Son of Neptune! *takes a bow* and I am just a little bit overjoyed and proud!

And while I'm at it: Gu-u-u-uys!!!! Stop spamming please...

@Aphrodite123 Unless I'm missing something here, Dakota isn't going to camp Half-Blood. You might be confused with another 'fic.
@dipstick & Hermione, thanks, and welcome to you both! Here are your muffin baskets, take one each!
@dipstick: You have no idea how big of a compliment that is! I've read some myself, but then stopped so my story would stay the same, and some of it's pretty awesome!

*bows again overjoyed*
over a year ago WiseGirl_Shayne said…
smile
im sorry hecate and redhawks,i have deleted my post..
crying
About to loose it again, oh Friday, Those 3 days seems like 3 years, we are having an exam week and this is where I come to relax, but now the craziness comes back...
over a year ago polux1002 said…
big smile
fantastic fanfic story and gratz on the 100 pgs
smile
Thank you!

So remember how I talked about ishy chapters? Things that weren't necessarely important to the story but that I had to put down or the back stories of some characters? (this was all planned before publishement by the way, I figured out nearly all their backgrounds the same way I write 3 chapters ahead of the next to be published)

Well, I read barogr's post and I decided to edit the story and put this ishy earlier on in the story.

IT WILL NOT HAPPEN SUPER OFTEN, PLEASE DO NOT EXPECT IT! I'M JUST HAVING A BAD WEEK-START (DON'T ASK) AND I WANT TO MAKE AT LEAST 1 PERSON HAPPY.

*check out the new picture on chapter 4

This chapter is dedicated to my siblings, in their eternal state of annoying and loud and deconcentrating
As if my dreams weren’t wacko enough as it is, the fever made them nothing but worst.
This time I got away with having to look back at memories. I rather go back to the last set of dreams then face those, though.
We were in the family living room. The plastic Christmas tree was propped up in a corner and my mom was reading instructions on the back of a box of Christmas lights. I was about 12 walking around the room, bobbing the newborn baby that was Tatianna up and down. Joel and Kyle had a game of arm-wrestling going on, which would become a full-wrestling game in about point five seconds- and Aimée was probably off doing her homework or some other activity that yelled out “I’m so perfect I barf rainbow and spit gummy bears”.
-Gwen, stop messing around with your sister and come help me here please. Mom said. I plopped Tatianna into a baby car seat waiting for her in a corner. She giggled as I took a strand of lights from my mom’s hands and started going around the tree. Then Joel tripped Kyle and punched him.
-Joel Madison! Mom scolded. Kyle fought back and I rushed to separate them. I ripped them apart, sent Kyle in a corner so violently he wasn’t coming back, and pinned Joel.
-You do not trip people in wrestling. I said.
-It’s Pankration! Joel complained.
-Oh, well in that case, carry on. I said, getting up.
-No, do not! Gwen, don’t encourage them! Mom said.
-What? It’s a sport! We do it at the city all the time! Strength training! I can’t tell them not to train, that could just get us all in a lot of…
-Language, Gwen.
-Trouble. I improvised the word. Mom sighed.
-Why can’t you all at least act…? The 3 of us froze and mom shut up. She turned back to the Christmas tree.
-Act what? I asked. Mom ignored me, which flared me up even more.
-Act normal? That’s what you were going to say, weren’t you? You want us to stop acting like the freaks we are, and stop doing the freakish things we do to keep ourselves alive? I snapped.
-I didn’t say that. She said.
-No, worst, you think it. I said. She stayed silent, didn’t even look at me. So I flared up, grabbed my coat from a coat hanger by the door and stormed out.
-Kyle, Joel, I’m really sorry; you know that’s not what I meant.
-We’re walking back with our freak sister to go be freakish with the other freaks. Forced walks are one of the things we freaks do. Kyle snapped as the twins left, leaving Tatianna, Aimée, Mom and Grant for the third Christmas in a row in a freak-free home.
And then the second one nearly made me regret the first.
I came down the stairs. I must’ve been about 14. And with a chill I realised what was about to happen and I did my best to wake myself up. But I’m so stubborn I don’t listen to myself.
I was wearing a brown dress, which went to my knees and the sleeves full length. I wore black pants under. My hair was done up into one of the simple braid designs we did all the time at the city. Mom was waiting for me.
-Gwen, there you are sweet, oh your dress is very pretty. Why don’t you let your hair fall loose, Gran always liked your hair. She said, posing her fingers on the side of my head.
-Hazel and I always do this for special occasions. I said.
-Alright then, are you ready to go, then? Mom said handing me my winter coat.
-I’ve been ready for 3 and a half hours. I said slipping my arms in the coat.
-Well then common. And sweet, take the necklace off. She said pointing to the shark tooth.
-No. I said.
-Gwen, it really isn’t appropriate.
-This is the tooth of the first monster I ever took.
-Yes, but you aren’t going to Gran’s to show your fighting skills, remember some of the people there don’t know you even go to the City.
-You mean that I live there.¸ Mom got annoyed at the reference of me not living under her roof.
-Take it off, Gwen.
-It’s the best thing I own! I protested. Mom snatched the necklace from my throat and threw it on the nearby coffee table.
-Just listen for once Gwen, we will be late!
-No, you will be late. I said, tears of rage burning in my eyes. I snatched up the necklace and marched out the back door.
Now Jason and I were sitting behind the veil of water at Fontus falls. I’d thrown a few pieces of armour over the dress and my hair was pulled back in a ponytail.
-She’s not the same. She only talks English now, she doesn’t care that I’m not fluent anymore. I complained in Latin.
-Well, she’s under a lot of stress. He tried to defend.
-She ripped Evan’s necklace from my neck! Stress or not, it’s not right!
-I never said it was Gwen, I just said she was. Try to think it from her point of view. I mean, Evan’s death didn’t only upset you. Jason said.
-I doubt she ever really cares about us anymore. We’re freaks to her. I was stupid to think that’d changed; I shouldn’t have even tried to go back. I said miserable.
-Don’t say that, she’s your mom! She does care, Gwen.
-No. When Aimée butted in and Tatianna was born, she realised it wasn’t normal for kids to be as hyper as a squirrel hyped on caffeine, and for her being called to deal with some school problem every week or two, or to have the principal accuse us of stealing the key to the school vault. That’s when she realised we were freaks, the whole lot of us. Joel, Kyle me and… and Evan. I said. Tears of rage and miserability stinged my eyes (no miserability is not a word but it fits the context, let me be). Jason put his arm around me and I buried my face in his shoulder.
-Hey, Gwen… Your mom doesn’t think you’re a freak, Joel, Kyle, Evan and you are the best things that ever happened to her and you were right to go back. You got to see your little sister right? See, that’s good. And you probably put something in Aimée’s sock drawer, which is great too. You tried Gwen, everybody did this year.
-So where’d you go? I asked out of bitterness. Immediately I knew I’d been somewhere where nobody had before.
-Jason, I’m sorry, I should just shut up sometimes. I said.
-No, it’s cool. My mom’s dead. Lupa told me, and she’s my only family alive. I stuck around. He said.
-I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have brought it up, it’s not fair for me to ruin your Christmas just because mine royally sucked. I said.
-Nah, it’s cool. Nobody’s ever asked before. Everybody freaks out about my dad, but other athat people don’t care about the rest of my family.
-After your immortal and direct siblings, nobody cares about the rest of your family, I said. My fingers were playing with my necklace.
-Where did you even get it anyways? I mean, I know it was from Evan, but…
-He used to where this thing all the time, no matter what he was doing. He ‘got’ it at some museum boutique when we were 5. Then when we were 7 and we got our first hellhound- it wasn’t pretty- but when it tried to eat me I pulled its tooth out, he dropped me and Evan picked it up and stabbed him. So he added it on. We spent a whole afternoon trying to figure out how to make a hole through it. It… That day I got a super bad grade in math, so before I showed mom he gave it to me. We thought hard as core it was a good luck charm. So I had it, after, and I kept it. It’s all I have and I’ll always keep it, even if mom won’t.
-Nobody wants to forget Gwen. But your mom always knew how shaky it’d be for you 4, and remember, she needs to look strong for Kyle, Joel, Aimée and you. He said.
-Thanks Jason, you really are a great guy.
-Nah, I’m just a friend. Now common, there should still be some enkythoi left. Jason said.
-Yeah… Been a while I haven’t had a good sponge cake.
-Let’s go. He smiled, the scar above his lip turning to a crescent moon shape.
I woke up at 7 in the morning, Boxing Day, wrapped in bandages, scared as hell and missing Jason Grace even more.

last edited over a year ago
Thank you!

So remember how I talked about ishy chapters?  Things that weren't necessarely importan